MARIGNAC is located at the foot of the mountains that separate it from Val d’Aran (Spain), at about 500 meters of altitude; The commune is located 124 km from Toulouse, 35 km from Saint-Gaudens (sub-prefecture) and 16 km from Bagneres de Luchon, Queen of the Pyrenees.
This municipality covers an area of 1,295 hectares.
The northern part of its territory includes a plain of 240 hectares of arable land and natural meadows between the Pic mountain and the Garonne river.
The southern and eastern parts are formed of high mountains ranging from 510 m to 2,154 m above sea level.
Two steep slopes form a deep furrow running south-north, the Val de Burat. Just above the village stands the mountain of Montcuq, wooded with chestnut and beech trees. To the south, the summits rise gradually to culminate at the Cape of the Pale of Burat: 2,154 m.
In a mountain amphitheatre, at 600 m below the peak, nestles the lake of Burat, from which descends a remarkable waterfall “LE PICH”. Its waters flow in the direction of the village and form the brook known as “de Marignac” now called “Burat”.
This calm and welcoming village proposes you various activities: boules, football, tennis, marked mountain bike trails, hunting and fishing, not forgetting the painting workshop.
For lovers of nature: on the Rié mountain, the Genévrier Thurifère (Juniper) trail, unique in the Pyrenees (7 km of hiking). The Burat with its hut and its lake; picnic area; The Pujo equipped for mountain biking and hiking; St Martin with the chapel St Roch from the twelfth century.
Visit the church of Sainte-Marie, part of the Romanesque art trails.
To do, to see
- The parish church dates from the 12th century. It was reworked in the 19th century. Among other things, it shelters the marble escutcheons of the noble families of Marignac, such as the Pardaillan, the Sicard de Miramont, the shield of the counts of Comminges, and probably that of Saint Pierre. The commune still has three chapels; The chapel of Saint-Martin (10th and 11th centuries), renovated in 2005, was one of the Templar chapels, the Calvary chapel (at the foot of the Rie mountain) and the chapel of Saint Roch (between the village and the hamlet of Saint-Martin) and three castles: that of Espouy, of Sacère (attached to the church and partly destroyed during the Revolution) and the Lucien Saint castle.
- An old watchtower (dating probably from the Gallo-Roman period), renovated in 2003, communicated with the other towers of the Pique valley. This tower, number 14, according to the map drawn up by the engineer Tousaint Lézat, is part of a set of 19 towers which formed a large system of signals to warn the plain and the valleys.
- A gentleman’s house is located at the entrance of the village on the main road called “Les Bengalis” (which was a former maternity unit run by Mrs. Boyer, a midwife, with her sister, Mrs. Bielsa, also a midwife, based in Luchon, which saw the birth of the majority of the children of the canton until the end of the 1970s).
- The fountain known as the “fountain of Sabarrère” or the “fountain to the ducks” dates from 1878.
- The town hall, former consistory (church court) which from 1893 homed the school group of the municipality and which now fulfils the function of town hall.
- The monument to the war dead, inaugurated on September 7, 1920 in memory of the 39 inhabitants of Marignac who died during the First World War.
- The Saint-Laurent bridge is the oldest bridge in the commune.
- Thurifera (juniperus thurifera (juniperus thurifera) is a species of trees of the cupressaceae family) grow on the Rie mountain, benefiting from a micro climate. It is a very threatened species. It is sometimes called Spanish Juniper or French Juniper). About 300 survived the 2003 fire caused by lightning.
- A dozen vestiges of old mills: at the Pont de la Mouline (mill of minerals), in the Saint-Martin quarter (a mill Assié (to saw), the castle of Espouy (a mill Assié and for flour) Chapel of Saint-Roch (a mill), in the village (the mill of “Laourens”, “molo de Jouandrin”, the mill of “Compay”), in the plain (“molo d’Andriou”).