A place of passage and intense activity during Roman Antiquity, Chaum was attached to Fronsac during the Middle Ages. In 1854 Chaum acquired its autonomy. At the initiative of Monseigneur Mioland (archbishop of Toulouse) and with imperial authorisation, the chapel of Notre-Dame-de-Puts, a place of pilgrimage, became the property of the village of Chaum.
Chaum is a strategic border point at the confluence of the valleys of the rivers Garonne and Pique. During the last war, Chaum was a forbidden zone (with fortifications and machine gun nests).
TO SEE TO DO
- Chapel Notre-Dame-de-Puts
- Church of St Jacques from the 7th century
- The statue of St Jacques (13th or 14th century)
- Statue of the virgin and child (14th century)
- The cabin of Artigue Plan. It is a corner of greenery where lies a cabin. This Chaum refuge, built by hunters, is open to everyone, hunters, hikers … Protected by a wooden barrier to avoid the approach of cows, it welcomes you with all its comfort (benches, chairs, barbecue, wood, etc …) Its access: either by the cabin Courreau, or by the Chapel of Esputs. Join the main forest track, the hut is located at the foot of the ascent to the Col du Matet.