Argut-Dessous is a typical, small, mountain village, with several walking trails, a wash house and drinking troughs for domestic animals.
Situated 4 km from St Béat, Argut-Dessous is also only a douzen km from Mourtis ski station and 15 km from Spain. Divede into 3 hamlets the commune is spread over more than a km.
In the village we can see houses with their bread ovens, a half-timbered house (which served as a parish presbytery).
There is a trail which links Fos to Lez which passes through Argut-Dessous.
A bit of history…
In the 18th century there were 400 inhabitants, which reached its maximum of 470 inhabitants in 1846.
- Eglise Saint-Barthélémy (19th century) schist, granite and marble
- Virgin and Child (late nineteenth century) plaster and gilded stucco
- A wash house (19th century)
- La Chapelle Notre Dame (12th century), one of the oldest of the Comminges, certainly dates back to the creation of the Priory of St Béat
- A small funeral marker, above the main door of the church (between the 4th and the 9th century)
- Stone P and X, symbolising Christ